Oracle released new binaries for 18.104.22.168.x labeled 22.214.171.124.900 April 30th on Oracle Edelivery.
We share here our first experience with this new release.
Understanding the scope and limits of this new release
This new release of the installation binaries has some limits and points of attention.
126.96.36.199.900 binaries is a partial rewrite of 188.8.131.52.0.
Although this version is released 184.108.40.206.x, it is not a fix for 220.127.116.11.0 and a fresh installation is mandatory.
The readme file clearly states there is no upgrade path to this release and content must be recreated.
“EPM System Release 18.104.22.168.900 is intended for new deployments. If you are an existing customer with a deployed application, there is no need to upgrade to this release.
Note: This release is for installing new deployments only, it does not apply to existing deployments of EPM System. If you have an existing deployment of EPM System, then you should not use this release. You cannot upgrade to release 22.214.171.124.900 from a previous release.”
This release installs Release 126.96.36.199.000 as baseline, except for Financial Reporting with PSU 188.8.131.52.708 and Oracle Hyperion Enterprise Performance Management Workspace with PSE 26950214.
After the installation and configuration is complete, you must apply 184.108.40.206.xxx PSUs to get the latest updates.
What is the difference between EPM 220.127.116.11.0 and EPM 18.104.22.168.900
The products list below has been removed from the installation (basically the old Brio’s stack, if you come from paleolithic…):
- Oracle Hyperion Reporting and Analysis, including:
- Oracle Hyperion SQR Production Reporting
- Oracle Hyperion Interactive Reporting
- Reporting and Analysis Framework
- Oracle Hyperion Web Analysis (removed for new customers in 22.214.171.124.700)
- Disclosure Management
Oracle seems definitively kill the Brio’s legacy.
The Reporting and Analysis Framework disappearance brings some change.
- The RM1 folder no longer exists, so now Financial Reporting artifacts are stored in database as well as the security. That mean that Financial Reporting component follow a new software architecture, which simplify backup management:
- MIME type no longer available, so personal page as html can not be used anymore. This feature was managed by Reporting and Analysis Framework:
- Home Page disappears, this page was generated dynamically by the Reporting and Analysis Framework. Instead the Home Page you have a grey frame:
- It’s no more possible to launch or download thick Reporting and Analysis client from tools menu:
However, the thick Financial Reporting Studio client binary is still provide in this release.
There is no change in the patching process, except for Financial Reporting which needs only patch tag 9xx release:
- The configtool creates all Financial Reporting table in Shared Services repository even if you specify a specific database or schema.
- Log Off link disappears after use. To display it again browser cache have to be empty.
This release standardize On-Premise EPM and Oracle EPM Cloud architecture, and prepare the 11.2.x coming next year.
Removing the RAF Agent and the RM1 directory is a step towards simplification (backup, log management, Windows services) , but a loss of usability because the home page has not been maintained.
The first bugs identified show that this version is still in development and still needed adjustments.
You can find detailed information in official documentation provide by Oracle: